TheAlmighty

Server restart

Dessy    22
4 minutes ago, Desimp said:

Is there not a possibility to run a second server in a different location which can run independently from the first one?

If it is dependent on the first one, there is no sense in running it in the first place anyway.

Same with the backup. If there just is a 7 days old backup once the main server is destroyed/cut off and you are not going to use it anyway, you dont need it either way because there is no scenario in which it would be useful.

Right but as it was said before the backup is new so everything is going to be launched as it was left 

So nothing is lost not 7 days so no progress is deleted 

Begins    0

To be honest I never heard or saw a big event that fire burned data center before, then again I'm not an IT expert.

It could happens but for me this is seem very rare if I running the server myself I wouldn't probably know or expected this will happen.
I'm ok that server has to temporary stopped service. But it will have negative effects toward to the server after restart.

Desimp    46
14 minutes ago, Dessy said:

Right but as it was said before the backup is new so everything is going to be launched as it was left 

So nothing is lost not 7 days so no progress is deleted 

This is totally clear to me as well as to Bladegunner. 

What I pointed out is, that the backup is useless anyway since it is so old that it is not going to be used (as it is the case now) and therefore a different security approach should be used.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Edited by Desimp
  • Like 3

Lazar    14
18 minutes ago, Desimp said:

This is totally clear to me as well as to Bladegunner. 

What I pointed out is, that the backup is useless anyway since it is so old that it is not going to be used (as it is the case now) and therefore a different security approach should be used.

I hope you understand what I mean.

It is not useless at all. It is just in this case not the best Option to use it. The best Option in this case is too wait for server restart. As multiple times mentioned there is no data loss.  This 7 Days old backup would be useful IF the server was lost/destroyed. Then there would be the Option to relaunch a new Server with the 7 days old Backup. In "OUR" Case it doesn't make sense. (Anyway a shorter period for backups would be senseful (24h), but it's probabley more expensive too.)

Also you cant caluclate such things. Honestly i work in a Datacenter too and i cant imagine in any Case that this could happen in our DC cuz of several security "mechanics". But it happened now to SBGx. There is no reason to blame euroaion team, accidents can happen, sadly. 

• Like 1

Krtos    0
18 hours ago, TheAlmighty said:

What will happen to the Glory Points, will they continue to get removed daily? - yes. Taking into account that it will influence all the players, we do not see the reason to change it. Especially that there are a lot of complaints about the amount of GP players have.

so if i just get army 5 i will lose 2k honor on 10 days and drop down again ? idk why is not stopped the lost of daily GP 

Airmax    13
3 minutes ago, Krtos said:

so if i just get army 5 i will lose 2k honor on 10 days and drop down again ? idk why is not stopped the lost of daily GP 

Because your problem is no problem.

Risus    16

Wow, you guys really don't understand what he said. No data has been lost, they just need power and time, amazing. But imagine that this fire destroyed the building of Euroaion - they would only have this backup from a week before. Can't you see the problem here? Yes, it's just a private server, but you clearly don't realise how much money they're making. Nobody with more than 10 braincells blames Euro administration for what happened, it's not like they went to France and ignited this building for fun, it's just about the lack of protection against data loss. And please don't tell me that this 1 week old backup is protection, cause it's not. Yes, aviation history is written with blood, people learn from mistakes, so I think the point here is just to get some better protection in the future, that's it.

• Like 5

Jaeger_DS    5

Haha Honestly I don't know how you ( the staff) manage to stay calm when I read these 3 pages filled with stupid and sterile argument.
I have the impression that some people hold this game too much to heart. xD
So if you feel concerned take advantage of this break and go clear your mind.

In any case, thank you for keeping us informed of the progress on the recovery of the server and good luck for the future work that awaits you.
Your server is the only server with a correct and playable version of the game, so don't worry you will lose not even 3% of the players.

Anyways, my friends and myself we will be present to have fun after this incident is over.

See you soon! 

Edited by Jaeger_DS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nymria    0

Raise the server rates temporarily so we lower levels can catch up is my suggestion. There are not enough lower level players to do the dungeons that give good amounts of exp.

vlad107    0

Wouldn't it be better to put a huge red banner translated into the most used 5 languages on the server explaining the whole situation on the main website ? (not the forum, the actual front page of the website). This way we can make sure that everyone understands what happened and that they just have to wait a few more days for the server to come back. 

This way nobody leaves and everything is 100% clear, because right know i feel like most of the players have no idea what happened. Maybe even add a countdown? Just a thought, luckily the competition is pretty dead.

TheAlmighty    1,055
2 hours ago, vlad107 said:

Wouldn't it be better to put a huge red banner translated into the most used 5 languages on the server explaining the whole situation on the main website ? (not the forum, the actual front page of the website). This way we can make sure that everyone understands what happened and that they just have to wait a few more days for the server to come back. 

This way nobody leaves and everything is 100% clear, because right know i feel like most of the players have no idea what happened. Maybe even add a countdown? Just a thought, luckily the competition is pretty dead.

Hey, 

We have put a red message on the website now. 

Sadly the countdown is not possible, the DC change the timings almost daily and we never know the exact time of the launch. 

TheAlmighty    1,055

Dear players! 

Let's be polite to each other, or we will have to start banning and muting instead of just giving the warnings!

• Like 3

SaaF    0

как мне кажется, в том, чтобы подождать нет никакой проблемы, ждать то всего немного, вдобавок все данные целы!

Shrr    47

This is pretty much their business, no charity. Having this much downtime could have been easily avoided by taking the necessary precautions in advance. Given the scale of the project I'd expect daily external backups of the core database being available at all times, as a minimum. As for the reserve server I feel inclined to agree with Desimp here. The very fact that the most up-to-date backups seem to be stored on the main server is a massive flaw in itself. A reserve server doesn't have to run at max capacity at all times and can be used to synchronize the most important stuff like the core database to avoid worst case scenarios like these. In fact, looking at what OVH offers, it wouldn't even be overly expensive.

Then again this is a worst case scenario and if anything OVH is to blame for the majority of these issues. EA staff can take away from this experience and take necessary precautions for the future.

Edited by Shrr
  • Like 2

Desimp    46

Since some ppl argue from the server's owners perspective of view, not the perspective of a player although they are players ( i suppose), it is even more stupid.

No donations can be done at the moment and the downtime will atleast be 1 week to 3 weeks at a maximum I guess. The money that is lost in this time by the donations that are not occuring now is arguably higher than the money they would have paid for some kind of almost up to date backup at another location. The donations that have not been conducted in the current downtime will also not be compensated by more donations when the server is up again, as money donations just occur because of ingame activies like instance rollback scrolls or augments, which obviously is not happening right now.

However, judging from the posts I have read here, I don't expect to be understood here as far as opportunity costs go, which I explained before.

@bosu There is no appropiate reaction to what you wrote, although I feel personally attacked by you and have to refer what a staff member posted earlier:

"Dear players! Let's be polite to each other, or we will have to start banning and muting instead of just giving the warnings!"

Edited by Desimp
  • Like 1

BySinaN    0

merhaba yangın için geçmiş olsun oyun ne zaman açılır bide oyun tükçe yama olarak devam edecek mi ??

Edited by BySinaN

Krizzen    0
18 minutes ago, Belormoroth said:

The 20KV is SBG3 is in progress. 2 days.

But the restart will be on 22? 

Kamai    72
27 minutes ago, apek795 said:

Serwer start 22? (serw)

no one knows. Even admins