TheAlmighty

Server restart

Dessy    22
1 minute ago, Salvus said:

There are important businesses that that are affected by this outage and they are losing a lot of clients.

Then they're work is really embarrassing 

This should never happen in such a big provider company 

Anyway now we have to pray for EA for not losing half of it's playerbase we have to keep supporting EA

Shrr    47

Personally I stand by my initial opinion from when the whole thing started. Using the available backup and rolling back to 03/03 would have been the more sensible option. Not just from the perspective of some random player. One week worth of progress lost vs not being able to progress at all for 2+ weeks (at this rate possibly 3) is easy math. Not to mention the negative PR that surrounds the project in both cases. I don't know how well EA does on the financial side (we already had this discussion) but being cut off of their income for several weeks surely sucks. Both ways result in disappointed players, rightfully though, but in cases like these keeping the damage as low as possible is key. And that is coming from someone who would give up a +15 swb weapon, two serums and an alt char that just got powerleveled to 65. I could deal with having to redo that, or rather hope for some juicy events to make up for it, but all in all I really would have prefered it that way.

Some may argue the usual. It is just a game, go play something else. Go outside and wait it out. Normally I would agree with that sentiment but sadly covid is still a thing and for some people, myself included, stuff is both restricted and complicated. Several countries are once again facing lockdown and hitting the gym, traveling to another country, going out to eat in restaurants, visiting the cinema et cetera is simply not a thing. Apart from other games or activities AION is something that is engaged with a more serious mindset and not being able to grind or racking up pvp kills is just lame. It kills motivation and each passing day just makes other servers or games that fill the niche more appealing.

Oh well.

• Like 5

Dessy    22
1 minute ago, Shrr said:

Personally I stand by my initial opinion from when the whole thing started. Using the available backup and rolling back to 03/03 would have been the more sensible option. Not just from the perspective of some random player. One week worth of progress lost vs not being able to progress at all for 2+ weeks (at this rate possibly 3) is easy math. Not to mention the negative PR that surrounds the project in both cases. I don't know how well EA does on the financial side (we already had this discussion) but being cut off of their income for several weeks surely sucks. Both ways result in disappointed players, rightfully though, but in cases like these keeping the damage as low as possible is key. And that is coming from someone who would give up a +15 swb weapon, two serums and an alt char that just got powerleveled to 65. I could deal with having to redo that, or rather hope for some juicy events to make up for it, but all in all I really would have prefered it that way.

Some may argue the usual. It is just a game, go play something else. Go outside and wait it out. Normally I would agree with that sentiment but sadly covid is still a thing and for some people, myself included, stuff is both restricted and complicated. Several countries are once again facing lockdown and hitting the gym, traveling to another country, going out to eat in restaurants, visiting the cinema et cetera is simply not a thing. Apart from other games or activities AION is something that is engaged with a more serious mindset and not being able to grind or racking up pvp kills is just lame. It kills motivation and each passing day just makes other servers or games that fill the niche more appealing.

Oh well.

I totally agree looking back then it would have been the best way.

Considering that it will not just be 2 weeks progress lost and we don't even know now when it will go online since there are always suspicious problems appear..

I guess the best way now would be the roll back for 7 days and start over again. Maybe change the server provider too

Kamai    72
8 minutes ago, Shrr said:

Oh well.

Just like you say shrr. If admins roll back the server to 03/03 mass of people will have a problem, there are people who want rollback to 03/03 because either the enchant on the feather failed or they made a mistake. but there are only a handful of such people. But as we look, Euroaion has a chance to be inactive until April. If something serious happens again in the OVH server room. Summarizing. What the admins will not do, the players will complain.

Teagan    20
12 hours ago, Kamai said:

I just realize that @Teagan can start calling @Omneity god xD

image.thumb.png.e99078fce34c51e91ef53ea9d039f4c6.pngKeep the faith :D

Edited by Teagan

Kamai    72

well there is chance to euroaion be open before 22.03 but its smaller than my IQ

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Windy    38
16 hours ago, Shrr said:

Oh well.

Rollback to 03/03 after we already waited for 2 weeks is not very smart. Rollbacks affect most players negatively and if the server will restart soon, in max a week as it looks like now, probably even in 2-3 days, it would make no sense to lose 1 weeks progress and people losing their +15 enchanted weapons, dropped SWB weapons or plussed accessories/plumes etc. just because some people can't wait a few more days. Get out of here with that nonsense.

• Like 3

Shrr    47
4 minutes ago, Windy said:

Rollback to 03/03 after we already waited for 2 weeks is not very smart. Rollbacks affect most players negatively and if the server will restart soon, in max a week as it looks like now, probably even in 2-3 days, it would make no sense to lose 1 weeks progress and people losing their +15 enchanted weapons, dropped SWB weapons or plussed accessories/plumes etc. just because some people can't wait a few more days. Get out of here with that nonsense.

No one said they should apply the 03/03 backup now. Doing so on the 11th or 12th would have been an entirely different story. But it is fine, I get that reading comprehension is not your forte.

• Like 1

ToxicTrash    45

Rollback for the week and March 10 and now is the worst option. This is an extreme option - the world has not turned upside down in 10 days and will not turn over if you still have to wait a few more days. People who have nothing to occupy themselves for several days without an Aion are drug addicts. It is not normal. take it easy already.

Edited by ToxicTrash
  • Like 1

Windy    38

@ShrrYou can talk a big game now 2 weeks after the accident as if you could see the future but you couldn't see trees in a forrest. The administration reacted in the most logical way and now when the server seems to take a bit longer to restart you come with these theories what they should or shouldn't have done. What if I told you that theres people to which a 1 week rollback is literally game breaking, people who plussed accessories succesfully to +4/5 for example. By waiting for a restart, the conditions stay the same for everybody, you can start where you stopped. If there was a rollback, some people would be treated unfair and others would gain an advantage. And who says they could have set up a new server somewhere else with the backup that quickly? If you are so smart, why don't you make your own server?

Edited by Windy
  • Like 1

Shrr    47

I'm not talking big now, I said the exact same thing the day their dc burned down. Even on their discord, it is all there - look it up :)

Besides that is not even the point, just my opinion. And yep if this was my project I would have taken the 03/03 backup without thinking twice about it. As someone who worked with larger online services in the past I am aware that uptime is crucial to success and leaving potential customers hanging is the opposite. The casual player however, in other words you, obviously won't understand.

" jUsT WaIt"

"And who says they could have set up a new server somewhere else with the backup that quickly? If you are so smart, why don't you make your own server? "

Again, maybe start reading the topic. Hint, the very first post from our admin would be a good start. ;)

Edited by Shrr
  • Like 1

Teagan    20
1 hour ago, Dessy said:

It would have been the best option from the start.

Now surely not anymore since the server going to be online soon anyway.

But there wasn't any update now for turning on the racks so today is Saturday they probably stopped working until Monday i guess they will start to continue work on Monday so let's be patiently 

image.thumb.png.ca1977156c45b7731b4440cd93ce9941.png

Dessy    22

Anyway there are new positive news about the server restart with 60 techs so the servers may be up by the next days maybe so just hope.

Dessy    22
Just now, Dessy said:

Anyway there are new positive news about the server restart with 60 techs so the servers may be up by the next days maybe so just hope.

Just now, Teagan said:

image.thumb.png.ca1977156c45b7731b4440cd93ce9941.png

Right I've just seen that 

Dessy    22

Since they open several racks let's hope they hit the EuroAion server asap too 

I think there the EuroAion Team have to prepare alot before they can start the game ( even if the servers are already green )

Teagan    20

But we still don t know on what rack is our server...:$

Edited by Teagan
  • Sad 1

Kamai    72
13 minutes ago, Teagan said:

But we still don t know on what rack is our server...:$

And we will not find out, if the admin tells us where we have the server racks, I will start calling you a queen

• Haha 2

Teagan    20
1 hour ago, Kamai said:

And we will not find out, if the admin tells us where we have the server racks, I will start calling you a queen

Well, each time a new rack turns into green, it s like lottery lol xD i try to log game on....

• Confused 1

Dessy    22
10 minutes ago, Teagan said:

Well, each time a new rack turns into green, it s like lottery lol xD i try to log game on....

Well i think that's not that easy i think even if our is online and Green we couldn't just log into it

I guess the Team would to do some settings and turn something seperately online and some preparation before we could log in

• Thanks 1

Desimp    46
1 hour ago, ToxicTrash said:

Yes - we are all held hostage by the provider and how he is handling this emergency. Everyone is upset and annoyed - all the more so, everyone should calm down a little and not dramatize the situation more than it is. Everything will be fine and everyone is a good lesson that saving on daily backups is irrational ))

I think many people would already be satisfied if the admin team made some kind of excuse post, because they were earning thousands of dollars (the exact number doesn't matter) but did not spend 35 of them monthly for a permanent backup in another datacenter of OVH.

This is a major mistake and I do not want to point the finger at someone, so if there is a proper excuse in the future, me and many other people would accept it and look forward I think. But as long as people act like nothing could have prevented this and it would be impossible to be prepared, I feel like getting ripped off, especially after having brought hundreds or even thousands of players on this server with my streams.

• Like 2