Sign in to follow this  
Nsn

Power Creep & Gear Ceiling: Remove tempering

Nsn    6

My suggestion is very simple; remove the ability to receive tempering solutions on this server.

4.x started the trend of very high gear ceilings and it drives new players away. No one wants to get 2-shotted over and over again by a max gear, max tempered, +10 plume person while trying to farm BM gear. You cannot fight back and it overall just takes away from the experience.

The grind of getting best-in-slot gear, +15, and full blue manastones is more than enough in terms of character progression for this game. Tempering just hurts the casual players.

I have played this game since version 1.5 and I know for a fact that the most active PvP this game has ever seen was when the gear ceiling was much lower (version 2.5 to 3.0) -- as soon as the gear ceiling was raised significantly (blue manastones, plumes, tempering accs), was when PvP became less about skill and more about gear, and many people quit.

• Like 1

TheAlmighty    1,054
8 minutes ago, Nsn said:

My suggestion is very simple; remove the ability to receive tempering solutions on this server.

4.x started the trend of very high gear ceilings and it drives new players away. No one wants to get 2-shotted over and over again by a max gear, max tempered, +10 plume person while trying to farm BM gear. You cannot fight back and it overall just takes away from the experience.

The grind of getting best-in-slot gear, +15, and full blue manastones is more than enough in terms of character progression for this game. Tempering just hurts the casual players.

I have played this game since version 1.5 and I know for a fact that the most active PvP this game has ever seen was when the gear ceiling was much lower (version 2.5 to 3.0) -- as soon as the gear ceiling was raised significantly (blue manastones, plumes, tempering accs), was when PvP became less about skill and more about gear, and many people quit.

Hello, 

Thank you for your suggestion, but this server is meant to be as an official. So we aren't modifying any part of the game. Everything should correspong to the official server of the same version. So removing tempering solution isn't possible in our situation. 

Nsn    6
5 minutes ago, TheAlmighty said:

Hello, 

Thank you for your suggestion, but this server is meant to be as an official. So we aren't modifying any part of the game. Everything should correspong to the official server of the same version. So removing tempering solution isn't possible in our situation. 

Thank you for your response. I wonder how the community would then feel then for cheap tempering solutions on the game shop.

Tempering is the main hardcore feature of this patch. When U got 100% socketing at shop, getting full gear with 60lvl composite manastones is easy as cake. Full +5 tempering jewelery will take ~ 100 water. And its many month of farming = many month server lives. I hope will be no stupid events with top gear\tempering solutions etc.

Edited by ZbigniewBrzezinski

6 minutes ago, Nsn said:

Thank you for your response. I wonder how the community would then feel then for cheap tempering solutions on the game shop.

you serious? pvp stats for money? 90% of gamers will leave after that.

Nsn    6
Just now, ZbigniewBrzezinski said:

you serious? pvp stats for money? 90% of gamers will leave after that.

I have played this game for a very long time. There are people who will farm BiS then get bored and quit. You can keep them around for longer with a higher gear ceiling but they are not sustainable -- all of those players will quit.

Back in 2.0 days we didn't need a high gear ceiling to give us a reason to play. We all had max gear. We PvPed for fun. If someone wanted to start playing Aion, it was very easy to get into it. All they had to do was run a little crucible for a basic 55c1 crucible set and if they learned their class well they could give the ABG/GBG people a run for their money. And the result? VERY populated servers, arguably the most populated Aion would ever be post-release.

Compare that to 4.0, someone with green manastone blood mark gear does not stand a chance against someone with AP augmented, tempered gear. The grind to fair, competitive PvP is MUCH higher in 4.0 compared to 2.0.

And the result? Everyone started quitting.

Just FYI I would be thinking about 10Ecoin tempering solutions.

• Like 1

Nsn    6
1 minute ago, ZbigniewBrzezinski said:

there is no place for weak in 4.+ patch)

And that is why this server will fail, just like retail, if it stays true to retail 100%. It's common sense: same input, same output.

I think we can all agree that NCsoft made some poor design decisions throughout the history of this game and it is silly to not identify and address them.

Not to mention a lot of us are older now and have full-time jobs and don't have the time to farm to the highest gear ceilings like we may have used to.

HidIgno    0
3 hours ago, Nsn said:

I have played this game for a very long time. There are people who will farm BiS then get bored and quit. You can keep them around for longer with a higher gear ceiling but they are not sustainable -- all of those players will quit.

Back in 2.0 days we didn't need a high gear ceiling to give us a reason to play. We all had max gear. We PvPed for fun. If someone wanted to start playing Aion, it was very easy to get into it. All they had to do was run a little crucible for a basic 55c1 crucible set and if they learned their class well they could give the ABG/GBG people a run for their money. And the result? VERY populated servers, arguably the most populated Aion would ever be post-release.

Compare that to 4.0, someone with green manastone blood mark gear does not stand a chance against someone with AP augmented, tempered gear. The grind to fair, competitive PvP is MUCH higher in 4.0 compared to 2.0.

And the result? Everyone started quitting.

Just FYI I would be thinking about 10Ecoin tempering solutions.

While as an old player I find this somewhat true, I feel what you're suggesting doesn't solve the problem of balancing the gear score in any capacity whatsoever. Some players have been around this server longer than others thus already have gear and level time advantage over newcomers. Giving them easy access to solutions via cash shop function only exacerbates their potential to gear faster, thus gaining even higher ground. Not to mention, not everyone can afford or is able to donate to get shop items as donation can be/is prohibited in certain countries, so unless they stream they have no way to get ecoins unless through ingame exchange. And we all know how much more difficult this is becoming with Gameforge's copyright striking. 

Now ingame exchange is great but when it comes to special currencies (ecoins) and desirable items (tempering solutions), then it becomes an economical problem at some point; only those who earn/buy ecoins are making profit off of solutions while everyone else who can't falls drastically behind. Why? Because they[casuals and non-payers] have to farm more kinah (meaning extra grind) and rely on those who purchase/earn ecoins to get their solutions if they don't have the time to farm them. Therefore again, casual players actually don't gain any said benefit from this other than a "potential" easy access IF they have an ability to purchase them. 

Nsn    6
3 hours ago, HidIgno said:

While as an old player I find this somewhat true, I feel what you're suggesting doesn't solve the problem of balancing the gear score in any capacity whatsoever. Some players have been around this server longer than others thus already have gear and level time advantage over newcomers. Giving them easy access to solutions via cash shop function only exacerbates their potential to gear faster, thus gaining even higher ground. Not to mention, not everyone can afford or is able to donate to get shop items as donation can be/is prohibited in certain countries, so unless they stream they have no way to get ecoins unless through ingame exchange. And we all know how much more difficult this is becoming with Gameforge's copyright striking. 

Now ingame exchange is great but when it comes to special currencies (ecoins) and desirable items (tempering solutions), then it becomes an economical problem at some point; only those who earn/buy ecoins are making profit off of solutions while everyone else who can't falls drastically behind. Why? Because they[casuals and non-payers] have to farm more kinah (meaning extra grind) and rely on those who purchase/earn ecoins to get their solutions if they don't have the time to farm them. Therefore again, casual players actually don't gain any said benefit from this other than a "potential" easy access IF they have an ability to purchase them. 

Agreed; removing tempering all together would be ideal, but having easy access to tempering (and it doesn't really matter how) would result in casuals being able to reach BiS status. If they were cheap via ecoins they would be cheap in game, or if they dropped more plentifully in-game that would work too.